Friday, 22 March 2013

Side Effects (2013)

Tom:
Side Effects, 2013, USA
Director: Steven Soderbergh
Stars: Rooney Mara, Jude Law & Catherine Zeta Jones


''Depression is the inability to construct a future.''

Steven Soderbergh's ''Final Film'' 'Side Effects' has been one I have really been wanting to see for weeks now, but having had a fair bit going on I have continued to forget about getting to the cinemas to see it. Coming to the realization that the film is on its way out, I decided to get my ass into gear and finally check out 'Side Effects'.

A manic depressive woman whose Husband has been released from prison, seeks help from a psychiatrist which leads to her taking a new medication with severe Side Effects.

Holy Shit! I really loved this film. After hearing plenty of praise for the film I was expecting a good film but this bordered on great. One of the finest and most original Psychological Thrillers I have seen in years. Soderbergh's tightly wound film unfolds beautifully during its duration with plenty of twists and turns that are sure shock audiences.

Steven Soderbergh's career has been that has honestly seemed a little under appreciated. Sure, he's had mainstream success with the likes of the 'Oceans' trilogy and 'Traffic', but for the better part of the last decade the man has gone almost completely under the radar. If this really is the man's final hour (Which I don't think it will be) its an incredible way to go out.

'Side Effects' is a film that features an immaculate attention to detail. It's plot is carefully constructed and, in my opinion, never really looses its way and is able to maintain a strong of mystery and suspense throughout. I have heard some complain about the films climax and that it doesn't fit the films tone, while this may be true to an extent it really did not bother me as I thought the film ended the exact way it should of. Scott Z Burns' script is terrific, very intelligent writing. Soderbergh's Direction is great as always and he really gives the film that psychological edge. One of my favorite aspects of this film was Thomas Newman's beautifully haunting score that complements the film perfectly.

The film also benefits from some fantastic performances. I honestly used to not enjoy the work of Jude Law but that was before I saw 'Gattaca' and 'Closer' now I love this guy! What a brilliant performer he is and what a terrific showing he gave in this film, a great and complex performance. Rooney Mara, this can't be the same girl from that horrid remake of 'A Nightmare on Elm Street', I love this girl more and more every time I see her, After a great performance in 'The Social Network' and a phenomenal one in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' Mara has followed them up with another articulate and superb performance, she just keeps getting better and I can not wait to see what she does in the future. Rounding out the central cast is Channing Tatum, who continues a trend of fine performances, and Catherine Zeta Jones, who is just okay here.

I really, really liked 'Side Effects', I was constantly enthralled and in suspense throughout and features some fantastic performances from Law and Mara, as well as being a great ''goodbye'' for Steven Soderbergh, a first class psychological thriller.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment