Saturday, 12 January 2013

Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

Tom:
Silver Linings Playbook,2012,USA
Director: David O Russell
Stars: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence & Robert De Niro
''The only way to beat my crazy was by doing something even crazier. Thank you. I love you. I knew it from the moment I saw you. I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up.''

'Silver Linings Playbooks' represents why I love cinema so damn much. This film that I have been anticipating for a long time and have been scouring the internet almost everyday for the last 3 months (the film isn't released here till January 31st) I downloaded plenty of faulty torrents that didn't even turn out to be the film, but today was my lucky day. From the first scene I knew I was for something special, and that's exactly what 'Silver Linings' is. What a Fucking Movie!

Pat has just come out of a mental institution after witnessing the infidelity of his wife. Lost and delusional, Pat convinces himself that he will one day he will be reunited with his wife, despite his restraining order. During one of his daily runs, he meets a woman named Tiffany whom also suffers with emotional problems, the two may be the answer to each others problems.

I'm not really sure how to put my praise of this film into comprehensible writing but I will do my best. 'Silver Linings Playbook' is an absolute marvel of a film, It feels so authentic and just full of realism, grit and emotion. The main character of Pat is said to have suffered from mood swings, which is ironic because that's exactly what the film feels like as a whole, a giant mood swing, audiences are forced to see these characters go through so much pain but gradually things will start to improve and characters become slightly happier, before things crumble once again. Its a brilliant story telling tool and its executed to perfection here.

David O Russell may be a pain to work with, but the man can definitely make a great film. This is the third film of his that I have loved and in my opinion this is probably his finest achievement. The man is such an incredibly talented screenwriter as well as being a brutally honest filmmaker. Russell's work here is just remarkable, this film could be a horribly over sentimental mess but through Russell's execution, this film is so easy to relate to and just so real. Having had prior experience with mental illnesses, I can absolutely say that this films completely nails the mindset, the loneliness and the desperate search for a silver lining and a better future. Russell's direction is as terrific as usual, the film is perfectly paced and like always, Russell is able to get the most out of his actors.

The cast of the film is just complete perfection. Bradley Cooper is not really known for being the greatest of actors, actors are always looking for that One performance, one that sets them apart from everyone else and shows their complete range and potential as an actor, Cooper has achieved it with this film. He is phenomenal here, and he truly captures the emotions and mind set of a person with mental illness, he gets it! I don't think I can ever doubt Cooper as an actor again, because hes performance as Pat in 'Silver Linings' is something amazing. Speaking of amazing, Jennifer Lawrence co-stars in this film, every time I see her I just love her more and more and like Cooper, her performance in this film is phenomenal! Like her co-star, Lawrence understands mental illness and portrays it perfectly. Jennifer Lawrence may be the ultimate film star in my opinion, shes so humble and is more focused on the film more than the notoriety of being famous, she is just incredible enough said. Despite the fact that he hasn't really made anything memorable in the last decade, Robert De Niro will always be a legend of the business, and fortunately 'Silver Linings' re-establishes his legacy, A fine performance here from Mr De Niro and I'm so glad that he is apart of something worth his time. The principle cast is rounded out by the great Australian actress Jacki Weaver who gives yet another Oscar worthy performance after her work in 'Animal Kingdom' and Chris Tucker, who is someone that only seems to work in films sporadically, he does a good job in this small role.

I think I have spent an hour writing this review and still feel like I have written nothing, I will say that 'Silver Linings Playbook' is just an incredible film, I had such an emotional connection to it and I can marvel at David O Russell's complete mastery in creating the film. The performances here are all fantastic, especially from Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. This has instantly become my favorite film of 2012 and the only one from the year that I have rated 5 stars. Yes, THIS is why I love the movies...

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment