Wednesday, 5 December 2012

The Social Network (2010)


OLI:
The Social Network, 2010, USA
Director: David Fincher
Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield and Justin Timberlake

“I think if your clients want to sit on my shoulders and call themselves tall, they have the right to give it a try- but there is no requirement that I enjoy sitting here listening to people lie. You have part of my attention- you have the minimum amount.”

I know that Mark Zucherberg is a dick, but Jesse Eisenberg is sooo not. I love this him, and this film. And considering that the film scored 3 Academy Awards, I'd say most people do. I don't even like Facebook that much (I don't really have it either), but I dig this film.

Every generation experiences a radical innovation that revolutionises the world. I think it would be safe to say that us, the youth of today, it's the invention and usage of the internet. And nothing sums up our use of the internet more than Facebook. The film discovers the uneasy origins of "The Facebook" and gives us insight into the strange and hopeless mind of Mark Zuckerberg. It does this via traveling back and forwards in time from the 2004 semesters at Harvard and the court cases that Zuckerberg really went through soon after Facebook's "globalisation." Many people will take different things from the film as it's diverse. I feel it is a true demonstration of the saying "keep your friends close, but keep you enemies closer." It is not a film for those who like Facebook, but it's not a turn off either.

It's a true Fincher film, which is good to see as Fight Club has always been my favourite. There are elements of the film which truly reflect Fincher's previous works, such as the spooky music and the awesome scenes that swap back and forth between past and present. It's amazing when he is in his prime. Fincher's sense of filming making is second-to-none. But where this film really thrives is the cast.

This film depicts Zucherberg as the classic lost nerd who wants to to be cool, but isn't because he's a nerd and a real asshole. The guy is a dirtbag who screws of his friends and steals people's ideas. But Jessie Eisenberg creates a likability for this unlikeable character. He truly is a gifted actor. I'm kinda of upset that he didn't win the best actor which he was nominated for. Although superb, Eisenberg was not the only highlight of the acting section of this film. Andrew Garfield and, dare I say it, Justin Timberlake play convincing roles as the co-founders of Facebook. I was also impressed with the acting from Rooney Mara as the "girl who started it all." However I was not impressed with Rashida Jones' character. I don't know whether she is to blame or if it was a mistake on Fincher's behalf, but she feel weak, one dimensional and unnecessary.

I wonder why this film was made so soon after the creation of Facebook, but it is a story that should be told. The film is a classic and Jesse Eisenberg is perfect! It's a modern masterpiece tackling one of the key inventions of the modern age. And although this film does not necessary say, "get on Facebook, it's great," Fincher's The Social Network does show the how Facebook became Facebook, and possible where it may be heading. You've got to admire a film that makes you question the most powerful resource on the internet.

**** (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment