Thursday, 6 December 2012

The Cabin In The Woods (2012)

Tom:
The Cabin In The Woods,2012,USA
Director: Drew Goddard
Stars: Kristen Connolly,Chris Hemsworth & Richard Jenkins

''Yes, you had "Zombies." But this is "Zombie Redneck Torture Family." Entirely separate thing. It's like the difference between an elephant and an elephant seal.''

Film #28 of the December Project

After hearing the unanimous praise for this film, and being a huge Horror fan, I was originally so desperate to see 'The Cabin In The Woods' that I resorted to watching it online via someone else's camera in a cinema. I honestly was not a fan of the film but I kind of marked it down to the conditions in which I watched it. Its been a few months so I decided to revisit the film on Blu-Ray, I mean I didnt even like 'Scream' the first time watched it and 12 viewings later I adore it, so a rewatch of 'The Cabin In The Woods' would surely garner my appreciation for this film.

A group of friends consisting of a Virgin, Athlete, Whore, Scholar and Fool take a break via a vacation to an old cabin in the woods, what turns out to be an average weekend until horrifying and strange occurrences start taking place that are out of their control.

This time around I enjoyed this film so much more and I am so damn thrilled I did. 'The Cabin in the Woods' is so much fun, its thrilling and its really fucking hilarious. The film is the brainchild of Director and 'Cloverfield' writer Drew Goddard and 'Buffy' creator and 'The Avengers' director Joss Whedon, who may be one of the most popular people in the world right now. They create the 'Scream' of a new generation, It mixes its Horror and comedic elements brilliantly to create a constantly entertaining film  

The one thing I'm not quite sure of though, and that is if 'The Cabin in the Woods' is appreciative or critical of the Horror genre. I am well aware that some horror deserves the criticism, but being a very passionate fan of this genre it felt kind of like Whedon and Goddard are degrading the classic formula of horror films, maybe its just targeting modern horror but there wasn't anything that made it felt like a love letter (not that it always should be) to the genre like 'Scream' was for example.

With that said, I still reiterate that I loved the film this time around. I loved the fact that it is not bound by tradition and isn't afraid stray way off the radar, I wish other films would do the same thing. When you think you have 'The Cabin in the Woods' completely figured out, Whedon and Goddard just throw another swerve your way. The films climax is absolutely glorious, I can understand it may not be for some people, but I loved the execution of it, it was hilarious and damn near frightening at the same time, the stuff nightmares are made off.

The cast is pretty good, but the show is stolen by Bradley Whitford and the always brilliant Richard Jenkins, they are hysterically funny and never not entertaining, its a thing of beauty seeing Jenkins telling a screen of Asian girls ''Fuck you''. The main cast of the teens is also pretty decent, I thought I would never say this but Chris Hemsworth was actually entertaining, as was Fran Kranz. Kristen Connolly was boring and bland as hell though.

As I said before, I am so glad I was able to love 'The Cabin In The Woods' and see why it was so well received by others. This proves we can still see quality and original horror films and I'm so glad that's possible. Hilariously, tense and fantastically fun.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment