Saturday, 29 December 2012

Psycho (1998)

Tom:
Psycho,1998,USA
Director: Gus Van Sant
Stars: Vince Vaughn, Anne Heche & Julianne Moore
''Hate the smell of dampness, don't you? It's such a, I don't know, creepy smell.''

Film #106 of the December Project

I would love to know Gus Van Sant's logic for creating a scene for scene remake of 'Psycho', I'm guessing it would have been something like ''Psycho is a perfect film, so If I remake it shot for shot my film will also be perfect! A plan so good it must be retarded *Van Sant trollface*'' Yes I'm quite sure that's exactly how it went...

'Psycho' (1998) is a bastardization of Alfred Hitchcock's original masterpiece, the films attempts to be a loving homage to the classic but it instead comes of as a mocking spoof. I will not state the plot of the film, but I will say that Vince Vaughn stars as Norman Bates, if that isn't a crime against cinema, I don't know what is.

I'm not really sure why I rewatched this, Maybe its because I am a glutton for punishment, but In the last week I revisited Hitchcock's original as well as its surprisingly good sequel, in my 'Psycho II' review yesterday I referenced this remake which got me recollecting how much I fucking hated it, I must have been in an overly cynical mood today which led to this viewing so I could truly convey my hate.

This film may be the laziest, most appalling mess I have ever seen, How could Gus Van Sant, who showed a lot of potential a year prior with 'Good Will Hunting', create such an uninspired film. How could he in good conscious, attempt to literally film an exact replica of something else ? Hell I feel guilty using quotes in essays, It just baffles that a filmmaker could completely playgerise another film and then put his name next to title so it reads Gus Van Sant's 'Psycho', its disturbing that a filmmaker would stoop so low to gain an easy buck and some notoriety.

Van Sant's ''Direction'' of the film is useless and he brings nothing new to the table, he is attempting to recreate perfection, and is failing miserably. It feels like this film was Directed by a guy who saw 'Psycho' on a TV in a bar one night, the sound wasn't but he thinks he got the gist of it. That or a retarded Hitchcock on acid.

The film is notorious for being basically a carbon copy of the original, and that is very true, its almost quote for quote and shot for shot, Its just incredibly mindless. The only thing I would condone reusing is the same house structure of the beautiful and famous Bates house, BUT NO! That's the only fucking thing they don't reuse AHHHH! But they also do add images of naked women and cows into the murder scenes, You know I don't think I needed to know of Bate's attraction to COWS!

This film may have the worst miscasting in cinema history, Anthony Perkins' performance in the original film is my personal favorite of all time and has become immortal, so which young up and coming and actor could they possibly have used to fill Perkins' large shoes, Vince Vaughn, VINCE FUCKING VAUGHN! I could not have possibly thought of a more unfitting actor to portray Norman Bates. Sure, Vaughn does try but at the end of the day he is just doing the corniest Perkins' imitation ever. Anne Heche portrays Marion Cane, which was played by the perfect Janet Leigh in Hitchcock's film whose performance was so sweet, kind and misunderstood, Heche portrays the character as the bitchiest, meanest and most cynical woman I have ever seen, she is just horrible in this role and universes away from being anything like Leigh. The film features a supporting full of great actors,like Viggo Mortensen, Julianne Moore and William H Macy, but they are all terrible and all doing imitations.

I have a very strong hatred for this film, 'Psycho' is my third favorite film of all time but 'Psycho' (1998) may be my most hated. Truly terrible and heartless filmmaking that everyone involved is responsible for, especially Van Sant.This is cinema at its most disheartening.

1/2*

No comments:

Post a Comment