Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Looper (2012)

Tom:
Looper,2012,USA/China
Director: Rian Johnson
Stars: Joseph Gordon-Levitt,Bruce Willis & Emily Blunt 

Joe: I'm going to France.
Abe: You should go to China.
Joe: I'm going to France.
Abe: I'm from the future. You should go to China.

Film #20 of The December Project 

Rian Johnson's 'Looper' has turned out to be one of the most popular films of 2012. I really did not have much interest in the film, seeing as people have compared it to 'Inception', a film which I loathed, so I really did not think I would enjoy this...

The film takes place in 2074, where there are Loopers, a technique in which if the mob wants to rid of someone they send them 30 years into the past were where a hired gun awaits to take them out. Joe is a Looper and very good at what he does, until he one day encounters his future self and must close his own loop.

I believe I tried 3 times to watch 'Looper', I always got around 15 minutes in before I turned it off and moved onto something else, which I rarely do. I just struggled to get invested in this film, despite the fact that JGL,Emily Blunt,Jeff Daniels and Rian Johnson were involved. Today was the day I sat myself down and physically forced my way through the film, and it really wasn't all that bad.

While the first 45 minutes were a struggle for me, the point of the film where we arrive on Emily Blunt's farm really got me investeda. 'Looper' is a highly original film and never really feels like the usual big budget blockbuster, It has more depth and more heart.

I recently watched Director Rian Johnson's previous film 'Brick', and thought it was fantastic. I knew from then that this guy could really bring some uniqueness to future films, like 'Looper', and that's just what he does, he comes off as an intelligent man and that shines through in this film. 'Looper' never feels like deprived Michael Bay drivel and always seems to play by its own rules.

The films action sequences are well shot and choreographed with some nice special effects throughout. I cant really put my finger on what I didn't like about this film, but these types of mind bending genre films usually don't entice me, so I was glad I even got the slightest bit of enjoyment out of this film.

The cast here is very good, I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt and hes freaking fantastic as always, damn I love that guy, I just wish he didn't have such heavy Bruce Willis make up on. Speaking of Bruce, I am not a fan of the guy but he does an okay job here and luckily hes prescience is kept to a minimum. I love Emily Blunt, and I loved Emily Blunt in this film. I was so pleasantly surprised to see Jeff Daniels pop up, I love that guy aswell, and I love Paul Dano! although hes underused. I am spreading a lot of love here, but not for Bruce Willis.

I enjoyed 'Looper', I definitely did not love it like most did, but I definitely garnered some appreciation for it. Hopefully the JGL train keeps on rolling!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment