Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Before Sunset (2004)

Tom:
Before Sunset,2004,USA
Director: Richard Linklater
Stars: Ethan Hawke & Julie Deply
 
''Maybe what I'm saying is, is the world might be evolving the way a person evolves. Right? Like, I mean, me for example. Am I getting worse? Am I improving? I don't know. When I was younger, I was healthier, but I was, uh, whacked with insecurity, you know? Now I'm older and my problems are deeper, but I'm more equipped to handle them.''

Film #16 of The December Project

Nine years after their acclaimed classic, Ethan Hawke, Judie Deply & Richard Linklater reunite for a sequel to their beautiful cinematic achievement 'Before Sunrise', and in doing so created an equally beautiful film with 'Before Sunset'.

Taking place 9 years after the first, Jessie and Celine once again meet up in Paris after Jessie visits during a book tour, which was a novel based on their special evening. The two take another brief odyssey through the city.

Its a beautiful thing when a film can truly enthrall you by just using simple and relative dialogue, just like its predecessor, that's exactly what 'Sunset' does. As we realize why we connected with these characters so much the first time around.

I am a big fan of Director Richard Linklater, and I cant praise him enough for his ability to create such unique and humane characters while writing beautiful and relateable dialogue. Hes made a career of doing this, and 'Sunset' continues this run to near perfection.

Hawke and Deply are equally brilliant and have incredible on screen chemistry, they relationship feels so, as do their emotions. 

I loved this film, and I cant imagine any fan of 'Sunrise' not enjoying this. An utterly beautiful film, I cant wait for 'Before Midnight' in 2013.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment