Friday, 16 November 2012

Wreck-It-Ralph (2012)

Tom:
Wreck-It-Ralph,2012,USA
Director: Rich Moore
Stars: John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman & Jane Lynch
''It's hard to love your job, when no one else seems to like you for doing it...''

'Wreck-It Ralph' is an animated throwback to the video games of the 1980's, The film has gained a mostly positive reception amongst most critics and audiences, but having a less impressive reaction from video game fans, not being a video game I went hoping to enjoy the film.

Ralph (voiced by John C. Reilly) is a video game villain, who is part of the ''Fix it Felix Jnr game'', but Ralph is a good guy at heart, and after 30 years is fed up with being lonely and disliked and thrives to be loved and earn a hero's gold medal.

'Wreck-It-Ralph' thrives on the nostalgia factor, he appears to have many to the older video games, while its enjoyable for the first half of the film, it definitely fades towards the middle section of the film, while I was having a blast in the opening section of the film, my interest started to fade when the film began residing in sugar rush, sure there are some nice visuals but it felt like a complete transformation from the film I was enjoying at the beginning.

'Wreck-It-Ralph' features a nice moral and message which is that of redemption (or close enough), Ralph is a 'Bad' guy who has never had a choice in the matter and strives to be liked. While it does have its heart in the right place, I just felt hollow at the end of the film.

As I mentioned above, This film does feature some nice visuals. I love the look of the traditional arcade and the gaming consoles, but when the film start featuring the game Sugar Rush heavily, which is basically a candy land, that's when I got irritated and so tired of looking at cliched world.

The voice cast here is fine, I have discovered recently that I really like John C Reilly ('Step Brothers' not included) The guy can pull of dramatic roles, comedic roles and Yes, animated voice roles. Reilly was the perfect choice to play Ralph, hes funny and loveable just like Reilly himself ('Step Brothers' not included). Sarah Silverman is also great here as Vanellope, Silverman is really coming into her own, film wise.

'Wreck-It-Ralph' isn't a bad film, its just a very average one, it falls into the realm of forgettable animated films for me personally. As I said, I really enjoyed the opening 30 minutes or so, especially Ralph's opening narration, but after that the film just fell by the way side. I cant really recommend checking out the film in theaters, but a rental would be more applicable.

**1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment