Wednesday, 28 November 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

Tom:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower,2012,USA
Director: Stephen Chbosky
Stars: Logan Lerman, Emma Watson & Ezra Miller
                                         ''Right now we are alive and in this moment I swear we are infinite.''

It takes a lot for a film to almost make me burst into tears in a cinema with only two other people, but alas 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' did just that. This film blew me away and provided one of the most beautiful and heartfelt film experiences of 2012.

Charlie is a distraught teen, who has just come of an extended stay at a mental hospital and is beginning his freshman year at school, feeling lonely and out of place, Charlie meets Sam and Patrick, who introduced him to the real world .

Teenage angst films, we see them every year right ? some them are good, others not so good, but few achieve on the level that 'The Perks of being a Wallflower', its more than an angst tale, its a universally relateable story of making the best out of adversity, and climbing out of hell so to speak. There a few films I can relate to as much as this one, and few characters I can relate to like Charlie, minus a few details, I could truly identify with his mindset and his place in life.

'The Perks of being a Wallflower' sees the rare occurrence of an author adapting his own novel to the big screen, not only its script but partaking directing duties as well. Its something that would be nice to see more often, but I doubt most could do it as well as Stephen Chbosky does here. In his only his second directorial effort, Chbosky proves that he gets film, and understands what it takes to make a great film, and he does exactly that.

I really can not speak highly enough of this phenomenal cast, Logan Lerman is great as Charlie, Emma Watson is also terrific! she is amazing and compelling and proves that she can indeed have a successful career post Potter, but it is Ezra Miller who steals the show, after his career making performance in 'We Need to Talk about Kevin', Miller gives an incredible performance here as the gay,eccentric, tormented and loveable Patrick, damn this guy is going to be great! This film also has a great supporting cast, Mae Whitman is lovely,Kate Walsh & Dylan McDermott are good, Melanie Lynskey is very important in a small role, and one of my favorite people, Paul Rudd even co stars and is great as usual, And guess who plays the shop teacher ? TOM FUCKING SAVINI!

I really cant speak highly enough of this film, it simply blew me away. I expected it to be good, hell I walked 40+ minutes in 35 degree heat just to see it, but I didn't expect such a relateable and utterly beautiful film experience. This film overtakes 'Argo' as my second favorite film of the year. Highly recommended.

****1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment