Sunday, 18 November 2012

The Avengers (2012)

Tom:
The Avengers,2012,USA
Director: Joss Wheldon
Stars: Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans & Scarlett Johansen

Bruce Banner: I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats. You can smell crazy on him.
Thor: Have a care how you speak! Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard and he is my brother!
Natasha Romanoff: He killed eighty people in two days.
Thor: He's adopted.

To say I had absolutely no interest in seeing 'The Avengers' upon its release would be putting mildly. Sure, I'm no Marvel fan but I had seen the previous films leading to this one and really not being impressed by any of them, I really could not understand everyone's excitement for this film. Months have gone past and after hearing everyone's unanimous praise of the film and having a copy of the DVD laying around, I finally decided to watch 'The Avengers' with no expectations at all.

Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and his army threaten to take over the Earth, Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson) from S.H.I.E.L.D bands together a group of superheros to save the earth from destruction.

I believe Christopher Nolan has destroyed the superhero genre for me personally, with three Batman films he showed me the pinnacle of what this genre is capable of, those films are the perfect mixture of art,entertainment and spectacle, everything else just feels obsolete. In 2012, Nolan's final installment in the Dark Knight trilogy was released, but strangely it may not have been the most talked about or popular superhero film of the year, it was seemingly outmatched and out grossed by Joss Whedon's crime fighting ensemble piece.

Unlike Nolan's films, 'The Avengers' isn't artistic in the slightest, but I'm sure that isn't its intention, Whedon's film relies
on chaotic and entertaining fight sequences mixed with humor and satirical quips, A formula that can usually guarantee success with the masses, which 'The Avengers' achieved and then some.

Its not hard to understand why 'The Avengers' was so well received, but to be honest I never really fully enjoyed the film, for me to get the full enjoyment out of a film like this, there just has to be more deeper meaning or a deeper threat of consequence, How many more times can the world be faced with near destruction and filmmakers expect audiences to care?

As you would expect, 'The Avengers' features some dazzling special effects and some elaborate action sequences that are guaranteed to leave audiences in awe, but my favorite aspect of the film was humor, admittedly at time I found it to be a hit and miss but for the most part I generally loved the one liners and humorous converses between characters, it didn't hurt that they were deliver by capable actors either.

Whedon's is obviously passionate and very fond of these characters and does his best to try and do all of them justice, and for the most part succeeds, but in doing so minor characters take a back seat and when they face hardships its hard to care seeing as were never really introduced to them.

The film features a star studded cast, including the likes of Robert Downey Jr, in his third portrayal of Iron Man is great, Mark Ruffalo good as Bruce Banner, Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth both do a fine job in their second take on the characters of Captain America and Thor. Samuel L Jackson and Jeremy Renner are both fine but underutilized, Tom Hiddleston continues  to remind me heavily of Michael Fassbender which is not a bad thing, and Scarlett Johansen is easily my favorite of the cast as she is great as Black Widow.

I can appreciate 'The Avengers' from a technical standpoint, but in all honesty I was not at all emotionally invested in the film, I don't have any prior affection for the characters other than the films I have seen them in, Its a spectacle of a film and I can understand others liking of it, but for me personally, 'The Dark Knight Rises' is the superior superhero film of 2012, and 'The Avengers' simply falls into the realm of average action films.

**1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment