Monday, 12 November 2012

Brick (2005)

Tom:
Brick,2005,USA
Director: Rian Johnson
Stars: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Nora Zehetner & Lukas Haas
 
''Throw one at me if you want, hash head. I've got all five senses and I slept last night, that puts me six up on the lot of you.''

A high school noir film really shouldn't work without being an immature mess, but thanks to one Rian Johnson 'Brick' does, its as enthralling as it is entertaining and mysterious as it is intelligent, you can never really be sure of anything in this film, but if one thing is for certain, it is that Rian Johnson is a genius.

After a desperate plea for help, Brenden (Joseph Gordon- Levitt) a teenage loner, must face the consequences of a high school crime ring, while trying to unravel the mystery of his ex girlfriend who has disappeared.

'Brick' is an allegory, its high school setting hosts a real world of crime, things that the average doesn't even realize is happening in their very own town, drugs, violence and murder. 'Brick's concept instantly sets it apart from other mob films.

The film is one of the best examples of a modern film noir, it captures some of that essence that makes those noirs from the 40's and 50's so timeless. Levitt's performance seems to be channeling Humphrey Bogart's in 'The Maltese Falcon', in fact film reminded me a lot of a modern day retelling of 'Falcon'.

This was the first Rian Johnson I have seen, and I have to say the man has already won me over, Johnson's writing and direction here are brilliant here, such a complex and intriguing film that features almost Shakespearean - like dialogue. I may go out and see 'Looper' now.

Last week, I watched the film 'Mysterious Skin' and commented how great Joseph Gordon- Levitt was in that film, now after watching him here, I have to say this guy deserves every bit of fame he gets, he is absolutely brilliant!

After hearing so much about this film, I had hopes, fortunately 'Brick' managed to fulfill practically all of them. I enjoyed this film immensely, Rian Johnson's craftsmanship is phenomenal and Joseph Gordon- Levitt is incredible, A great film.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment